December 7, 2010

Bobber Project

I don;t usually share very personal things online but I think today I'm going to. Since I was very young I've always been an artist. I started out drawing and painting and even won state my senior year in high-school. I also wrote many short stories and plays: nothing too good I would imagine. After school I got distracted with the working world and joined the world of machining. Little did I know that I was putting my artistic skills to work every day when I would create parts on an Engine and CNC lathe.

After about 5 years of turning a lathe I moved to PA and got a corporate job. There is nothing creative about working in a call center! So, I turned my passion for working on guitars into building them and recording with them. I recorded two albums under the name Zyonsdream: again, nothing too good but I enjoyed them. I also started building guitars in my basement. I have worked on guitars since I was about 10 years old. You can check out all of my work on my Zyon's Dream Guitar website. It was obvious that guitar building and playing became my artistic outlet.
Pictures taken from zdguitars.com


Last year I decided my creative outlet with guitar building had passed. We wanted to renovate the basement and I was happy to give up my work space because I had purchased a 2006 legend Lime Mustang for a project car. I sank a lot of time money into that car and it became my focal point for my artistic outlet. You might not think about a car like art but the time spent on making sure every part looked and worked the best is art..to me anyways.

After I got the bobber, I remembered how much I really loved motorcycles. I only drive the Mustang twice last summer. When it came time to upgrade the family-mobile, I made the decision to trade in the Mustang to help us get a higher quality vehicle. I was sad to see the Mustang go but I did the right thing. However, now that I don't have the Mustang, I have no creative outlet. Okay, so I'm working on a book and a screen play but I've been working on those for 8-years now...

I'm a person who needs a creative outlet or an "art project" to feel whole. Being an artist is what I feel sets me apart from everyone else in the world; that and I'm completely anti-social! Once I finish with one artistic medium, I move on to the next challenge. This is why I went out yesterday and purchased a bobber frame and front end. I've decided to make my own bobber! Don't expect me to work at a machine gun pace... it isn't cheap building a motorcycle. I'm already in the hole $1,200! I need to learn how plan a motorcycle build, how to execute a motorcycle build and how to make everything work properly. I'm mechanically inclined and I can do just about any repairs on my own motorcycle so I feel confident that I will finish this art project with a functioning and great motorcycle that I will ride for years to come. I will be fully documenting my build on this blog in hopes that I might inspire or help someone building their own bobber or chopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...