November 13, 2010

Are Open Primaries Dangerous?


My bobber has an "Ultima Street Style" open primary with a 3.35-inch kevlar belt. There are no guards around it and the bike is equipped with forward controls. So, I'd say I'm a guy who can discuss the topic with some authority.

I've caught my pant leg in my primary on three separate occasions. The first time it happened, I had just gotten on the bike and I was wearing jeans that had a wider bottom. I knew better than to go for a ride with them on but I thought 'yah, that shit isn't going to happen to me." As soon as I put my foot on the peg, I heard a loud pop and when I looked down, my pant leg was ripped clear up to my knee. The second time it happened, I had been on the bike for about 20-minutes going to work. I guess I drifted off into space at a stop sign and I brought my leg up to the peg too close to the primary. This time my jeans did not rip. My foot was pulled into the primary hard enough to get my attention. My foot didn't bruise but it hurt for a good 10-minutes.

Today was the third occasion. I pulled up to a stop sign, looked both ways and brought by foot up too close to the primary and pow: a good 6-inch tear in my jeans. I was 10-miles from home when I did it so I had to pull over and tuck my pant leg into my boot.

There is a reason that everyone I know says they love my bobber but they would never ride it due to the primary. However, if I ever build or have another bike built it will have an open primary. To me, they are a bit dangerous but that is the fun of an open primary. I've never had it happen while the bike was at speed but I could only imagine what would happen. If you bring your leg in wide and don't go into "stupid land" when you are at a stop sign or red light you will likely be okay. If you wear wide bottom jeans, tuck them in to your boot. Or, you could be a pussy and put a guard on your primary. Maybe throw some training wheels on it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...