November 28, 2010

Buying American

I took a load of shit from a few people the other day because my bobber has a Revtech transmission and not a Baker transmission. I've been very happy with both the Revtech transmission and Revtech motor installed on my motorcycle. The argument was about the fact that the Revtech is not American but the Baker is. Somehow, this automatically made the Baker a superior product even though the ones who were bitching at me acknowledged that they had never used a Revtech transmission and some of them had never even used a Baker transmission.

I personally have never used a Baker transmission so I will decline any discussion regarding the superiority over the Revtech and I will not make any assumptions on the quality of a Baker transmission. From all accounts, Baker makes a great piece if equipment. However, from my account, the Revtech has been a great transmission.

The argument became "if you buy anything not made in America you are not supporting America and what you are buying is shit." Well, I disagree with that with a passion. Take for example that Baker transmission. They manufacture it and assemble it in America. However, in order for them to get the raw materials to build the transmission they had to purchase the materials from overseas companies. In fact, regardless of what you buy, it is almost certain at some level, you have supported international trade. At this point it is unrealistic to think you can be 100% exclusionary and buy only American made products made from American made products. The fact that we no longer make steel tells you that anything made from it used overseas raw materials.

Those same guys who gave me shit are all "Harley or nothing" guys. I find it funny since Harley increases the quantity of components built overseas every year. They buy Harley because they feel like they get a quality product and because the company is American owned, they get a sense of pride.

That's cool and I understand it. My motorcycle was built 50-miles away from my house so I can understand the sense of local pride. I consider it American made but I fully understand that less than 50% of it was made and assembled in America. I recently bought my second Honda Pilot. It was built in a plant down south. That vehicle put food in the mouths of people who live in America. I am happy about that. We live in a global economy and the money I spent on my motorcycle put food in the mouths of local people and helped to support businesses world wide. I am also happy about that.

I think the people whose mouth runith over with, "I only buy American" should take a look at their own house. If you own a house, you do not ONLY BUY AMERICAN because there is absolutely no way your house is 100% American made. Get over it and realize the world you live in. Go out and buy a product that suits your needs, gives you the best quality for your buck and provides you with years of service. If the company happens to be American owned: great! However, understand that the products they build and sell support other countries. Just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...