November 30, 2010

I made the switch


I switched the bobber over to Royal Purple last week. I've run Royal Purple in everything I own: even the family Honda Pilot. Always follow your engine builder's recommendation for engine break in and then make sure switching over to synthetic is okay. In the case of RevTech, I needed to put 2,000-miles on my engine before I could switch it over. As soon as I rolled the 2K I put the bike on the jack stand and changed over the engine oil and the transmission oil. My motorcycle has a dry clutch so I had nothing to change there.

Although Royal Purple is higher in cost, the benefits out weigh the cost. Synthetic does not coagulate or stiffen like conventional oil does. When I started my motorcycle up after changing over, the engine fired without any lugging. It was about 30-degrees out! Your engine will run cooler and it's a proven fact that your engine wears out slower. Any time you can add miles to the life of your engine, it's a no brainer.

It's a reposted picture but this is how I drain my oil. YOu won't spill a drop!

I always place a shop towel under the oil filter to keep from drowing my regulator with engine oil as I remove the filter. This time I used a Shamwow and yes, I still got oil every where. Guess I'll never avoid it! Also, make sure you cover that chrome filter before you place that oil filter wrench on to tighten the filter. This keeps from scratching it all to hell.
The oil drain plug in the RevTech transmission could have been a bit bigger. The size Allen wrench was an odd-ball size. I can't recall the size though. It took like an hour for that sludge to drain from that plug. In case you are wondering, the drain plug is that small Allen head in the center of the two larger bolts. Driving the motorcycle after changing over the transmission oil, I noticed fluid shifting and less stress at the shifter. Seemed to go through the gears smoothly. \

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...